At its regular June 11 meeting, the Longview School Board of Directors–
- Recognized Mark Morris senior Levi Delamarter’s state rodeo championship in All Round, Team Roping and Tie Down events; Delamarter also qualified for the national high school rodeo finals later this year. He will be attending Montana State University on a rodeo scholarship.
- Learned about “Star Polishers” Misty Velke, Monticello Middle School teacher, who, according to student Essence Fleming “let’s all students work at their own pace, and gives opportunities for us to express our creative side, whether it is giving ideas or explaining a topic or answer” and Cascade’s Jodi McLean described by student Miranda Doumit as a teacher who, “has helped me actually decide what to do with my life. I want to be a teacher. I have been inspired by how she deals with problems when they arise. She is funny, caring, and a great teacher. I love how she pushes me to boundaries that I never knew existed. She has helped me grow so much as a person, and I am very grateful for her.”
- Received public comment about the highly-capable program including the need for increased teacher training and additional funding.
- Received public comment from LCPEA members and WEA leadership who urged the directors to open LCPEA negotiations due to a $1.39 million allocation that resulted from the McCleary decision.
- Accepted testimony from two teachers who spoke in opposition of the 7 period-day at the high school.
- Learned about elementary schools’ use of conscious discipline programs to help students with their positive behaviors so that quality academic learning is possible from principals Megan Shea-Bates, Noma Hudson and Cora Lazo.
- Heard from Business Manager Patti Bowen who talked about the 2018-2019 district budget development and draft availability by July 10.
- Set a special meeting for June 19 to discuss 2018-2019 board agenda topics.
- Decided to present a facilities bond to voters on April 23, 2019. The Facilities Advisory Committee is currently working on recommendations that the board will consider in drafting the request.
Met in closed session to discuss collective bargaining.