At its regular April 8 meeting, the Longview School Board of Directors-
Honored Mark Morris Band Students for their musical accomplishments this year and thanked Music Teacher Regan Huffman for her dedication. Mark Morris band students receiving honors this year included:
- Western International Band Clinic Honor Band- Morgan Ebert (percussion).
- Pacific Lutheran University Honor Band-Dahlia Prince (trumpet), Samantha Jones (trumpet), Joseph Sanchez (trumpet), Andrew Wilson (alto saxophone) and Morgan Ebert (percussion)
- All-State Band- Morgan Ebert (percussion)
- Lower Columbia College Honor Band- Simon St. Martin Shook (French Horn), Hailey Harris (clarinet), Andrew Wilson (alto saxophone), Bebs Hack (euphonium), Morgan Ebert (percussion), Logan Harris (tuba), Dahlia Prince (trumpet), Samantha Jones (trumpet), Kaylina Smith (trumpet), Joseph Sanchez (trumpet)
- Regional solo and ensemble winners- Morgan Ebert (multiple percussion) took first in her category and will be going to the state solo and ensemble competition at the end of April. Morgan Ebert and Kameron Werner (both percussion) won first alternate to state solo and ensemble contest in small group percussion. Morgan Ebert won 1st alternate to state solo and ensemble on snare drum.
- Heard two Star Polisher remarks. RA Long student Mary Broderius calls Mrs. Ormond her Star Polisher. Mary said, “Mrs. Ormond has become a second and sometimes first mom for me. The connection she makes with our AVID family has been beyond what any teacher should or would do. Mrs. Ormond has seen everyone in the AVID class cry multiple times and she is always there for any of her kids whenever we need her. There are not words I could use to describe the appreciation and love the AVID class and I have for her.”
- Mark Morris student Jacob Lawhern calls Mrs. Alejandro his Star Polisher. Jacob said, “Mrs. Alejandro takes the time out of her day to care about the well-being of her students and always brightens up everyone’s day. Her class is both serious, and yet at the same time enjoyable and full of games that are fun. I love learning Spanish with her because she makes it understandable and I don’t feel lost in her class at all.”
- Heard a community partner report from Vashti Langford and Sonya Packard from the Cowlitz Indian Tribe Healing of the Canoe program. Healing of the Canoe is a life skills and prevention program in Cowlitz County that works with school students.
- Approved major repair project bids for six schools so work could start as soon as possible.
- Approved the capital facilities bond proposal at $115 million.
- Reviewed and approved revisions to Policy 3143 regarding notification of juvenile and sex offenders.
- Reviewed and approved changes to Procedure 3144 concerning release of information of student sex offenders.
- Reviewed and approved revisions to Policy 3231 regarding student records.
- Reviewed and approved changes to Policy 4314 concerning notification of threats of violence.
- Reviewed and approved revisions to Procedure 4314 about notification of threats of violence.
- Reviewed various informational items and a legislative update.