The hard work of Longview musicians was rewarded Feb. 3, 2018 at the Southwest Washington Music Educators Association Instrumental Solo and Ensemble Contest hosted by Kelso High School. High school musicians from around the region met to compete as soloists and in ensembles.
Longview soloists recognized were:
- Isabel Buckingham, Mark Morris: Multiple Percussion – winner , Snare Drum – 1st alternate
- Seth Klander, R.A. Long: Timpani – winner, 2nd alternate – Mallet Percussion
- Eleanor Stalick, R.A. Long: Cello – winner
- Delaney Morgan, R.A. Long: Bass – 1st alternate
- Sarah Sanchez, Mark Morris: Violin – 1st alternate
- Shana Busch, Mark Morris- Multiple Percussion – 1st alternate
Longview ensembles recognized were:
- Longview String Ensemble, Mark Morris and R.A. Long: Large String Ensemble – winner. Ensemble members: Sarah Sanchez, Josette Shepherd, Chloe Compton, Reagan Gosslin, Caroline Nesterkin, Megan Willis, Eleanor Stalick, Roman Stalick, Delaney Morgan and Christopher Ofstun
- Mark Morris Percussion Ensemble: Large Percussion Ensemble – 1st alternate. Ensemble members: Hannah Cargill, Lanna Ruiz, Chance Grendahl, Morgan Ebert, Amaya Busby-Frey, Bryce Sampson, Shana Busch, Isabel Buckingham and Kameron Werner
- Flute Cello Duet, R.A. Long: Small String Ensemble – 2nd alternate. Ensemble members: Eleanor Stalick and Megan Meharg
These winners will perform at the State Music Contest at Central Washington University on April 27 and 28, 2018 and compete against the other 21 regions in Washington State.